SAR seeks a dedicated, detail-oriented intern with excellent writing and research skills to join SAR’s
Development team for Fall 2018.
This position will be based in SAR’s New York City office. This position reports to SAR’s Development Officer. Internships are unpaid.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Scholars at Risk (SAR) is an international network of higher education institutions, associations and professionals in nearly 40 countries working to protect threatened scholars, prevent attacks on higher education communities, and promote academic freedom. SAR offers members and scholars a range of services and activities including: arranging temporary positions of safety for threatened individuals; advice and referrals for scholars in exile; campaigns for scholars in prison or facing prosecution; monitoring of attacks on higher education and related advocacy; trainings, workshops and conferences; internships; joint faculty research projects; and publications. More information is at www.scholarsatrisk.org.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Update contact lists of board members, potential donors, foundations, individuals, corporations, and government agencies in SAR’s SALSA database
- Maintain the fundraising calendar and deadlines
- Research new and prospective donors, and prepare donor profiles/bios
- Draft/edit meeting background documents
- Assist with the annual report
- Assist in mailings and e-mail correspondence
- Assist in preparing letters, reports and grant proposals
- Assist with the planning and execution of events
- Draft and upload periodic social media posts and e-blasts
- Additional responsibilities as needed
- Exceptional writing skills
- Interest and experience with detailed research and data base management
- Strong attention to detail, and strong organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Prior coursework in human rights, law, international relations, nonprofit management or education is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and/or international education
Please send a resume, cover letter in a single PDF to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Intern – [Your last name].” In your cover letter, please indicate the days and hours you would be available, your location, and your preferred start and end date. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the internship is filled.