Program Assistant, Membership and Protection Services (Temporary)
Posted March 1, 2023
POSITION SUMMARY: Scholars at Risk is seeking a highly organized, proactive and detail-oriented individual who understands that quality support and administrative functions are essential to SAR’s achieving maximum efficiency and impact. The Program Assistant provides payments and other administrative support to the SAR Membership team, which works to develop university engagement in all areas of SAR programming, and the SAR Protection team, which works to provide direct support to threatened scholars by creating temporary positions and providing support from SAR’s Emergency Fund. The position provides administrative support for the membership team, including but not limited to promoting membership services; enhancing external and internal communication; systematizing and managing data; preparing letters, emails and materials; and general office administration. The position will also assist in financial support for both the protection and the membership teams, including but not limited to invoicing, financial agreements, procurement, and payment processing, the latter of which is primarily for individuals or universities designated to receive fellowship or emergency support funding. The Assistant should develop familiarity with SAR’s work in order to support strategies for effectively servicing current members and scholars.
The position requires keen attention to detail, strong troubleshooting skills, and timely and professional communication, including with members, partners, clients, SAR and NYU staff, and the public. The Assistant will be encouraged to handle increasing responsibility for these and other activities as appropriate. Working closely with staff members of the membership and protection teams at SAR, the position reports to SAR’s Director of Membership and University Relations and to SAR’s Director of Protection, and others on the SAR team as needed.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Manage invoicing and payment processing for membership contributions throughout the SAR Network.
- Draft payment agreements for emergency and fellowship grants.
- Manage payment processing for emergency grant and fellowship funds, including processing wire transfers for scholars, universities, and other vendors, issuing reimbursements via NYU’s i-Buy system.
- Make direct purchases for approved emergency fund requests.
- Research and arrange time-sensitive travel for at-risk scholars and their families, including flights and short-term accommodation.
- Assist in emergency fund documentation and tracking processes.
- Maintain membership data, including updating member and primary representative lists, and enhance information tracking systems.
- Generate membership-related reports, statistics and numbers as needed.
- Assist in crafting and formatting membership communications, including updates to the SAR website.
- Assist in scheduling and formatting informational webinars for current and prospective members.
- Develop fluency, under the guidance of supervisors, in responding to queries from current and prospective members and partners; develop independent responsibility tracking outreach campaigns; maintain outreach records; and other administrative duties, as needed.
- Handle increasing responsibility for the above and other membership-related activities as appropriate.
- Undergraduate degree in process or completed; students are encouraged to apply.
- Exceptional administrative skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail, strong organizational and multitasking abilities.
- Ability to prioritize and troubleshoot challenges with reasonable autonomy.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and/or international education.
- Previous administrative experience desirable.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This is a temporary, remote 40-hour a week at-will position, beginning as soon as possible and running through May 31, 2023, subject to extension based on program priorities, exemplary performance, and availability of funds. The position is compensated at $25/hr. This is an hourly position not eligible for SAR/NYU benefits.
HOW TO APPLY: PLEASE APPLY IMMEDIATELY (no phone calls or email inquiries, please) by emailing in a single document: (1) a letter of interest, (2) resume, and (3) a brief, unedited writing sample. Please use “Program Assistant, [Your last name]” as the subject of your email. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAR is an equal opportunity employer. SAR does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, unemployment status or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. (Regrettably, SAR is not able to sponsor work-eligible visas for these positions.)
NYU EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT: NYU is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its recruitment and hiring process without regard to age, alienage, caregiver status, childbirth, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, domestic violence victim status, ethnicity, familial status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital status, military status, national origin, parental status, partnership status, predisposing genetic characteristics, pregnancy, race, religion, reproductive health decision making, sex, sexual orientation, unemployment status, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.