Committee Member Sign-Up Form
ACTIVITIES AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR PARTICIPATION
Participation in any specific SAR activity, including hosting scholars, is at the discretion of the institution through its representative. SAR provides opportunities for members to engage at all levels (institutional, administration, faculty, student and alumni), including:
- Hosting lectures, panels and other events, including SAR Speaker Series events, featuring SAR scholars.
- Advocating on behalf of imprisoned, detained or unjustly prosecuted scholars through the Scholars in Prison Project or through a faculty-led Student Advocacy Seminar.
- Promoting academic freedom through the Academic Freedom Monitoring Project and related research.
- Hosting threatened scholars as temporary visitors, students, researchers, or professors. Affiliates will have access to courageous and inspiring educators for academic visits and will receive direct assistance in making arrangements and in counseling scholar-visitors about relocation, adjustment, job searching and post-visit transitions.
- Participating in SAR conferences on academic freedom, university autonomy and related higher education issues.
- Student internship and alumni engagement, through public events and visiting scholar mentorship opportunities.
- Helping to shape SAR’s priorities and direction, including by suggesting new activities.