This conference will focus on the importance of intellectual dissent and academic freedom to democratic societies in a Western, particularly European, context. The speakers and the panel will discuss the scope and the limits of academic freedom in the context of political populism, neoliberalism, and the exigencies of the post-Covid social and educational landscape. Topics to be discussed include but are not limited to
- Academic freedom in relation to other core academic values, e.g. openness, trustworthiness, research integrity, and social
- The scope and limits of intellectual dissent and academic freedom
- Ways of strengthening academic freedom in a changing university funding landscape
- The impact of social media on academic freedom
- Lessons from a global pandemic
See registration, programme, and speaker details here.