Chelsea Blackburn Cohen, Senior Program Officer at Scholars at Risk, will be attending the official launch of the University Alliance for Refugees and At-Risk Migrants at Rutgers on Monday, July 23rd.
This one-day event will bring together vested parties across relevant sectors including refugees, at-risk migrants, faculty and scholars, student associations, education think tanks, legislators, local government, ecumenical education institutions, and United Nations agencies and other representatives of the international community.
In learning about current opportunities for supporting existing initiatives and new ones, this conference will pave the way for new strategies on collective actions across areas of work within the UARRM and alongside of it on:
- increasing the number of funded scholarships for refugees and at-risk migrants at universities
- supporting student-initiated efforts to protect and empower at-risk migrants and refugees in university communities
- strengthening the bridge between secondary and tertiary educational opportunities, tying education to employment access
- improving systems for the recognition of foreign academic credentials
- educating the public and reshaping narratives about refugees and at-risk migrants