This publication, produced by the Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack (GCPEA), aims to support states in protecting higher education by providing technical direction on implementing GCPEA’s Principles Of State Responsibility To Protect Higher Education From Attack.
Measures outlined in the Guide to Implementing the Principles of State Responsibility to Protect Higher Education from Attack include:
- Immediate and full investigation of all attacks, with appropriate prosecution and sentencing of perpetrators;
- Safety assessment and risk analysis mechanisms;
- Increased coordination between educational institutions and the National Security directorate, Ministry of Defense, and others;
- Assistance for victims of attacks, including by providing psychosocial and medical support;
- Secure housing, transport, and infrastructure; and
- Prevention of the use of higher education facilities for military purposes during armed conflict, to avoid turning the university into a target for attack by opposing forces, including by following the Guidelines for Protecting Schools and Universities from Military Use during Armed Conflict and endorsing the Safe Schools Declaration.